Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Because If Every Aspect Of My Life Isn't On the Internet, Then Do I Really Exist?

I thought I'd start a blog about the various meals I attempt to make, just because. Last year I resolved to start to cook more home meals after discovering it wasn't a hard thing to do as long as I went to the grocery store with a menu and recipes in mind. Some things I've made have been awesome. Some, not so much. Perhaps people can learn from my successes, and teach me how to improve on my blunders!

Since I decided to do this after my dinner tonight, I don't have a picture of the finished product, but it was broiled salmon (farm raised, unfortunately) over red quinoa (which is a really delightful alternative to rice or cousocous), and sauteed spinach. The salmon was a little bland, so I made a sauce of capers, dijon mustard, lemon, and a bit of mayo to put on top. It was all quite tasty, but the only thing I can't seem to get right when making salmon is getting the skin crispy (I love the skin) but not having it just end up stuck to the bottom of the pan. I used a cast iron skillet, sprayed it with some Pam AND rubbed olive oil on the skin of the salmon. It still stuck. It was edible--believe me, I ate that sucker--just not very presentable. What's the secret? (Besides a nonstick pan, which I feel doesn't yield as crispy a skin, and isn't good to stick in a broiler.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find that when you dry the fish (or meat) very thoroughly before cooking it, it hardly ever sticks to the pan's surface. I know you probably already know this but I wanted to put in my 2 cents cause I love this new endeavor of yours!
T.

Rain said...

I don't think I knew that. I know I have tried to dry the skin as best I can in the past, but I will make sure to dry it even more next time. Thanks for the tip!